Shrines and Statues
There are shrines and statues throughout our church.
Toward the front on the left, is a statue of the Pieta. This statue is based on the famous work of art in the St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican done by Michelangelo Buonarroti. It depicts the body of Jesus on the lap of his mother Mary after the Crucifixion. The statue was originally donated by Mr. M.J. Nabholz. It was restored in loving memory of Angelo J. & Theresa M. Piedmont and Rosalie Sweeney by Family.
St. Bernardine’s Pieta Michelangelo’s Pieta in St. Peter’s Basilica
In 1975, wooden carvings were added for shrine niches at the rear of the church. In front of the pairs of shrines are devotional candles and a kneeler. The lighted candle symbolizes a prayer offering where we present our petitions to the Lord and ask the saints to pray with us and to pray for us during our most dire need. This light, as it is kept burning, also shows our desire to remain in God’s presence as we go through our daily duties at home and in the workplace. The kneelers are provided so parishioners can pray while offering their own, personal petitions.
Saint Bernardine and the Blessed Sacrament. Donated by the Paul and Pauline Csech Family
Mother Cabrini & St. Anthony of Padua. Donated by the families of Mary Santoro, Marie Veldman, and Antonio Santor.
At the front of the church are two similar shrines. The one on the right (north) side of the church is for Our Lady of Perpetual Help. This is the title of the Blessed Virgin Mary as represented in a celebrated 15th-century Byzantine icon. The icon originated from the Keras Kardiotissas Monastery and has been in Rome since 1499. Today it is permanently enshrined in the Church of Saint Alphonsus, where the official Novena to Our Mother of Perpetual Help text is prayed weekly.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church of St. Alphonsus Liguori (Rome) Shrine
On the south side of the church is the reliquary, or container, for Holy Relics. Next to the reliquary is a stand with a book for parishioners to write down their own, personal petitions. The entire congregation prays for these petitions during the mass.
The contents of our reliquary are listed below.
|St. Margaret Mary||1647-1690. French Visitation nun responsible for establishing the Feast of the Sacred Heart. Feast Day is October 17.|
|St. Gabriel||One of three archangels, announced Jesus’s birth to Mary. Feast day is September 29.|
|St. Pius X||1835-1914. Pope from 1903-1914. Feast day is August 21.|
|St. Anthony Pucci||1819-1892, Servite priest His entire life was spent instructing children, caring for the sick and poor, and pioneering the Holy Childhood Society. Feast day is January 12.|
|St. Maria Goretti||1890-1902. Patron saint of youth, young women, purity, and victims of rape. Feast day is July 6.|
|St. Gemma Galgani||1878-1903. Patron Saint of Students, Pharmacists, against temptations, against the death of parents, against tuberculosis. Feast day is April 11.|
|St. Vincent DePaul||1581-1660. Patron saint of charities; horses; hospitals; leprosy; lost articles; Madagascar; prisoners; Richmond, Virginia; spiritual help; Saint Vincent de Paul Societies; Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory; Vincentian Service Corps; volunteers. Feast day is September 27.|
|St. Bernardine of Sienna||1380-1444. Franciscan missionary priest in Italy. Feast Day is May 20.|
|St. Candius & Other martyrs||Roman martyr. Feast day is October 3.|
|St. Therese||1873-1897. Carmelite nun, patron saint of the missions. Feast day is October 1.|
|St. Bernadette Soubirous||1844-1879. Patron of illness, people ridiculed for their piety, poverty, shepherds, shepherdesses, and Lourdes, France. Feast day is April 16.|
|St. John Bosco||1815-1888. Patron of apprentices, editors and publishers, schoolchildren, magicians, and juvenile delinquents. Feast day is January 31.|
|Relic of the True Cross||Piece of the cross founded by St. Helena, the mother of Emporer Constantine. Feast day is September 14.|
|Veil of the Virgin Mary||Founded by St. Helena, the mother of Emporer Constantine.|
|—||Facsimile of one of the true nails of the cross|
Stained Glass windows – non-Main Church
Behind the main altar, in the old choir loft, there are three stained-glass windows. These windows do not have the symbols and ‘picture frame’ of the windows in the main church; they do have a standard ‘outer’ frame. These windows can be seen from the west side of the church or by looking between the slats behind the altar. Facing the altar, the windows are (from left to right), are:
St.Gregory, Pope from 590 – 603 St. Cecilia, Patron Saint of Musicians. Gift of Choir members 1939 – 40
Pope Pius X, Pope from 1903 – 1914
At the south entrance, you can view the windows for St. Jude and Mary (toward the sacristy). At the north entrance, you can view the windows for St. Ann and St. Joseph (toward the side chapel).
Mary, mother of Jesus. Donated in memory of the Calgano Family St. Jude, Patron Saint of Hope & Impossible Causes. Donated by the parents of
Angelo-Robert Iovino, USN, who died in service on October 29, 1944
St. Ann. Donated in memory of William and Kathlyn Stoppenbach St. Joseph. Donated in memory of Walter P. Lange
The Weekday Chapel
To the right of the altar, beyond the sliding glass doors, is the weekday chapel. It is also known as the ‘cry room’ where families with small children can attend mass without disturbing others in the congregation.
When the church was first built, this was the Baptistry, or room where people were baptized. In 1975, this section was converted from the Baptistry to the weekday chapel. The original pews were removed and replaced with chairs that can be moved to face the altar for weekday masses or the main sanctuary for Sunday masses. The murals, carpeting, and altar were paid for through the efforts of the Women’s Club. At the time of the conversion, a baptismal font, donated in memory of Anthony and Anna Calderone, was placed in the main sanctuary.
The stained-glass windows in the chapel reflect the various symbols and emblems of the Sacraments. As with other stained glass windows in the church, these were donated by parish families or organizations.
Original Baptistry Current Side Chapel
Confirmation. Donated by the LCBA* Eucharist. Donated by the LCBA Penance. In memory of Louis Oswald
Last Rites. In memory of Mary Oswald Holy Orders. Donated by the Springenberg and Lux Family Marriage. In memory of Henry L. Fromme
*LCBA – Ladies Catholic Benevolent Association